6 Tips For a Healthier Home
At White River Chem-Dry, we want to help you keep your home clean and healthy. Here are six easy tips for keeping your house in tip-top shape!
- Regularly wipe down countertops. If you want to keep your countertops clean and bacteria-free, you should wipe them down regularly with a mild cleaner. This is especially important if your countertops are made of granite or tile, as these materials can be more porous and thus trap more bacteria over time. Be sure to use a cleaner that will also help refresh the sealant on your counters; this sealant weakens over time, leaving the counters vulnerable to dust, allergens, and other contaminants.
- Clean carpets and rugs. It is crucial to vacuum your carpets at least once a week if you want them to remain clean and fresh. The best vacuums have a HEPA filter or microfiltration system, which eliminates allergens from the carpet fibers. Even regular vacuuming won’t remove everything– like pet dander/urine, stains, bacteria, etc.– so it’s worthwhile considering professional cleaners for deeper cleaning results.
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you have your carpets cleaned professionally at least once a year; however if you have pets or small children in your home, they suggest a more frequent cleaning schedule of 2 to 3 times per year. White River Chem-Dry is the ideal choice for keeping your carpets clean and free of dirt, dust, and other allergens.
- Don’t forget the upholstery. Not only do carpets and rugs need to be cleaned, but your upholstered furniture does as well! Bacteria and allergens can easily become trapped in the fabric just like carpet. It’s important to have it professionally cleaned regularly and to vacuum it in between cleanings.
- Sanitize high-use points around the house. Some areas in your home, such as door knobs, faucets, light switches, and toilet handles, get more use than others. As a result, they can collect more dirt and grime. To help prevent the spread of germs in your home, it’s important to keep these surfaces clean and sanitized.
- Use door mats or area rugs in entryways and high-traffic areas. Save yourself some time and effort by picking up a few door mats for your home’s entrances. You may also want to add area rugs to other rooms; this way, the dirt stays at the door. To keep things clean, ask your kids and guests to remove their shoes before coming inside.
- Check and replace your heating and air conditioning filters. Air filters capture dirt and dust to prevent these particles from circulating around your home. However, they don’t last forever and need to be replaced on a regular basis to maintain a healthy environment. To keep track of when you installed the most recent filter, write the date on the outer edge of it! That way, you’ll know exactly when it’s time for a replacement.
Following these six tips will help your home be much healthier, and when it comes time for a professional cleaning in the Muncie and Anderson area, call White River Chem-Dry today!